If you’ve ever practiced yoga on a cheap mat, or with no mat at all (gasps in horror), you know the struggles of slipping around in poses like downward dog. This is a particular struggle if you practice faster paced styles of yoga such as vinyasa because, let’s face it, we’re bound to get a little sweaty!
But fear not fellow yogi, here is my list of the top 10 best yoga mats for sweaty hands and feet so you never have to deal with this struggle again!
What are non slip mats? And why you need one!
Non-slip yoga mats are exactly as they sound. They’re designed to stop you slipping around during your yoga practice.
Why would you need this you ask? Well, put simply, your yoga practice becomes a lot less relaxing when you’re constantly having to readjust your alignment because your hands are travelling up your mat.
And aside from this annoyance, in worst cases poor alignment could result in discomfort and injury, which is definitely not what you want when you step on your mat!
Having a non-slip yoga mat designed to withstand those sweaty moments ensures you’ll have both a safe and relaxing practice, with minimal distractions.
The benefits of non-slip yoga mats
Yoga mats designed to withstand sweat have several benefits including:
Allowing you to hold poses for longer: when you can maintain proper alignment without sliding around you are able to focus on your breath and hold poses for a longer time.
Smoothing your transitions: a stable base allows you to transition from one pose to the next more smoothly without slipping.
Targeted muscle building: when we’re in correct alignment, we can target the right muscles and focus on particular areas we want to build safely.
Allowing you to practice advanced poses: we don’t want to even attempt advanced poses such as handstands when there’s a chance of our hands slipping on our mat. Non-slip mats allow us to practice advanced poses safely.
Reducing chance of injury: if we’re less likely to slip around in a pose, we’re less likely to be in improper alignment, place a strain on our muscles or completely fall!
Improving your confidence: knowing that we’re unlikely to slip on our mat can improve our confidence in our practice without having to worry about the issue of slipping. This allows us to put all of our focus into the practice.
Longer lifespan: if you got a little too excited about this one, let’s just be clear in saying I’m talking about the mat! Mats that are designed to withstand sweat are less likely to wear away when exposed to it, meaning you won’t have to replace your mat anywhere near as often, saving you that dollar.
What to look for when buying a yoga mat for sweaty hands and feet
In reality, any truly good quality yoga mat should be non-slip, unless they’re specifically designed for other purposes. But knowing which brands are truly high quality can be hard to spot.
Here are some important factors to look out for when buying a good quality yoga mat!
- Extra sticky: Sticky is a word that you will often see used to describe non-slip yoga mats. This is because they are designed for your hands and feet to stick to them, thus preventing the dreaded slide.
- Antimicrobial: This is a handy advantage when you’re planning to sweat lots and a factor you’ll definitely want to consider for a hot yoga class! Antimicrobial material helps to warn off the nasty bacteria that love your sweat (gross).
- Dry Tech: Some yoga mats are designed to dry more rapidly when you sweat on them, which is a definite plus for slip reduction. Some are also designed to become more grippy the more you sweat, cool huh?!
- Hypoallergenic: If you have sensitive skin or any known allergies, it’s best to look for mats that are hypoallergenic so they don’t irritate you. This is particularly important for sweaty classes since even your sweat can irritate your skin!
- Thickness: The thickness you want will depend on your preference. If you plan to do mainly floor based poses you’ll want a bit more cushioning for your knees. If you’re someone who practices more fast paced flows and balancing postures then less cushioning can provide more stability.
- Durability: Durability is very important when it comes to buying your mat, because who wants to have to replace their mat all the time? That’s why I would suggest spending a bit more money on a high quality mat rather than a cheap one, because it saves you so much more money down the line!
- Environmentally friendly: If the environment is as important to you as it is to me, look out for materials that are eco-friendly and from sustainable sources. This means avoiding cheap plastics and opting for natural materials instead.
- Size: Standard yoga mat length is approximately 68 inches long, so if you’re somebody who is taller than this you’ll want to look out for mats that are longer in length!
- Weight: If you’re planning to just use your mat within the home then weight may not be an issue. However if you plan to travel with your mat you may wish to look for mats that are lighter and easier to carry.
- Appearance: Call me superficial but I love me an attractive yoga mat! If you’re impartial to the appearance of your mat then you can safely ignore this factor, however for me beautiful colours and designs go a long way!
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
The 10 Best Yoga Mats for Sweaty Hands and Feet
So with those factors in mind, here are the 10 best yoga mats for sweaty hands and feet!
1. Lululemon Reversible Yoga Mat
The Lululemon Reversible Mat is unique in that it features two different sides designed to be versatile for different styles of yoga. The cushioned mat contains an absorbent polyurethane top layer which absorbs sweat and prevents sliding. The mat comes in various different colours and designs, and there is the choice of two thicknesses depending on your preference!
Size: 26” x 71”
Thickness: 3mm or 5mm
Weight: 3mm: 3.87lb 5mm: 5.24lb
2. Gaiam Performance Dry-Grip Yoga Mat
The Gaiam Performance Dry-Grip Yoga Mat is their best selling mat. This highly cushioned mat has a topcoat which absorbs moisture and increases grip making it perfect for those sweaty moments. It is also rubber free and free of the top six most harmful phthalates making it a good choice for those with allergies. It comes in three different colours in a singular floral printed design.
Size: 24” x 68”
Highly cushioned for more joint support
Very sticky grip
Comes with a lifetime guarantee
Non-slip layer can wear away quicker in hot yoga classes
Only comes in one design
3. Jade Harmony Professional Yoga Mat
Jade Yoga is a yoga company dedicated towards being environmentally conscious. The Harmony mat is made from sustainably sourced natural rubber from rubber trees and does not contain any PVC, EVA or synthetic rubber. It comes in a variety of different colours, three different lengths and there is an extra wide version also available. To make this mat even better, Jade Yoga plants a tree for every single mat they sell!
Size: Regular: 24" x 68" Long: 24" x 71" Extra long: 24" x 74" (extra wide is 28")
Weight: Approx. 5lbs
Extra sticky grip
Environmentally friendly company and sustainable material
Variety of different inclusive sizes
Good choice of colours
Not suitable for those with latex or rubber allergies
4. Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat
The Manduka Pro series claims to be the #1 recommended yoga mat by teachers worldwide! The PROlite is a slightly thinner and more portable version of the pro, which makes it an ideal option for taking to your hot yoga classes. It features a closed-cell surface to keep moisture at bay, has a smooth fabric feel for smooth transitions and a dotted underside to stop it sliding on hard floor. It comes in a variety of colours and three sizes.
Size: Standard: 24" x 71" Extra Long: 24" x 79" Long wide: 30" x 79"
Very good non-slip grip
Very durable and long lasting
OEKO-TEX certified emissions free manufacturing
Variety of colours and sizes
Takes some time to “break in”
5. Hugger Mugger Para Rubber Yoga Mat
The Para Rubber Yoga Mat from Hugger Mugger is made from sustainable rubber from renewable non-amazon sources. It features two different materials - one side features small bumps that help you to stay in place, while the other has a woven and rubbery grip. This mat is also well cushioned for those with sensitive joints. It comes in four colours and two sizes.
Size: Regular: 24” x 70” XL: 28” x 78”
Weight: Regular: 6.6lb XL: 10lb
Not suitable for rubber or latex allergies
6. Yoloha Cork Yoga Mat
The Yoloha Original Air Cork Yoga Mat is made from durable non-slip natural cork combined with eco friendly foam for extra cushioning. The grip improves the more you sweat making it perfect for hot yoga classes. It is also fast drying and antimicrobial and contains zero latex or plastic! This mat comes in two lengths.
Size: Regular: 26” x 72” Long: 26” x 80”
Eco-friendly and sustainable
Non-slip grip that improves as you sweat
The feeling of cork against bare skin can be undesirable for some
Only one minimalistic design
7. Yoga Design Lab Combo Yoga Mat
The Combo Yoga Mat from Yoga Design Lab is designed to be a 2 in 1 yoga mat and hot yoga towel. This makes it the perfect companion for hot yoga, especially as the grip of the mat improves while you sweat. It is made from absorbant sueded microfiber, which is made from recycled plastic bottles. The base is made from natural rubber for added cushioning.
Size: 24” x 70”
Replaces the need for a hot yoga towel
Good grip when sweating
Eco-friendly and made from recycled plastic
Variety of different designs to choose from
Can be slippy if not wet (requires spritz of water before use)
Not suitable for rubber or latex allergies
8. IUGA Pro Non Slip Yoga Mat
The IUGA Pro Non Slip Yoga Mat is designed to be ultra lightweight despite its cushioned thickness. It is made from sustainably harvested natural rubber and is extremely sticky, preventing slipping during your yoga practice. The underside of the mat features patterns to prevent the mat slipping on the floor, and the top absorbs sweat quickly. The mat comes in 5 colours.
Size: 26” x 72”
Textured bottom for grip on hard surfaces
Not suitable for those with rubber or latex allergies
Material can be prone to scuffing and creasing
May produce a slight “squeaking” noise on certain surfaces
9. Liforme Eco Friendly Non Slip Yoga Mat
The Liforme yoga mat is a mat that you’re bound to see in any yoga class! Its’ attractive design features a unique alignment system that helps you adopt the correct form during your practice. It is easy to transport, very grippy and made from eco-friendly and biodegradable natural rubber. Your purchase also comes with a free yoga mat bag to take your mat to and from class!
Size: 26.8” x 72.8”
Eco-friendly and biodegradable
Good non-slip grip
Attractive alignment design
Comes with travel bag
Not suitable for rubber or latex allergies
Less cushioning than some other mats
May wear down with regular use
10. Heathyoga Non Slip Alignment Mat
Heathyoga’s Non Slip Alignment Mat is made from eco-friendly and recyclable TPE, which has a diamond shaped surface to prevent slipping. The thick cushioned mat features a design intended to help you achieve correct form and alignment during asana practice. The underside features a tire tread to prevent the mat slipping on hard floor.
Size: 26” x 72”
Eco-friendly and recyclable
More affordable than some other mats
May not lay flat after being stored rolled
Not as grippy as some other mats
Other things to consider
So hopefully you have selected your favourite non-slip yoga mat for sweaty hands and feet... but what else do you need to consider?
A hot yoga towel
If you plan to (or already) attend hot yoga classes, you may wish to purchase a hot yoga towel.
You can sweat a lot in hot yoga, so a towel helps to soak up this level of sweat while still providing you with non-slip grip. These are placed over the top of your yoga mat and can be washed between classes making them a hygienic choice!
How to clean a sweaty yoga mat
Whether your yoga mat claims to be antimicrobial or not, you still need to regularly clean your yoga mat to prevent build up of bacteria and keep your mat smelling fresh.
I would recommend cleaning your mat at least once a week, but preferably after each use, particularly after those sweaty sessions!
To clean your mat, simply spray with an antibacterial natural yoga mat spray and then wipe off the residue with a damp cloth. Easy!
Don't forget to pin this post with the image below!
Want more yoga content?! Check out these posts:
Esther Cundall is a psychology graduate and certified yoga teacher. She is the founder of the blog Hopeful Lotus, which guides readers to grow to their fullest potential using spiritual and personal growth practices. By sharing her own journey, she helps others find their own hope and heal from within.